Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” – Matthew 4:4
My husband and I started off the New Year with the Daniel Fast and I wanted to share a couple of our favorite recipes we enjoyed during this time. The first being a delicious brown rice and vegetable medley!
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3-5 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cabbage head, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- olive oil and sesame oil
- coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, green beans, and bell pepper and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add sliced cabbage (and some additional oil) and cook until cabbage is to your liking.
- Stir in mushrooms, sage, paprika, and oregano.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice, cooked vegetables and tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Pour the rice and vegetable mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Spread diced tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes. Serve warm! Yum!